Nigerians Will Praise Me After Leaving Office – Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan on
Tuesday said he did not expect
Nigerians to shower praises on him
while he is still in office.

He said it was normal that public
office holders would only be
commended after leaving office by
the time his achievements were
being compared with others.
Jonathan spoke while granting
audience to a delegation from his
home state, Bayelsa.

Members of the delegation led by
Governor Seriake Dickson were in
the Presidential Villa, Abuja to
felicitate with him on Christmas
and New Year festivities.

The President said notwithstanding
the various challenges facing the
country, he would do his best to
make his people proud.

He said, “I always say that I will
not even expect praises now
because hardly do people praise
serving leaders. It is when you
leave, people will begin to know.

“When you leave, people will begin
to compare what you have done
over the period vis-a-vis what
others have done, then they will
compare you with whoever takes
over.

“Probably that is the time some
people will begin to say good about
you. But I will do my best to make
sure that we do change things.

“We are trying to create enabling
environment for our economy to
thrive irrespective of the challenges
we are having in the petroleum
sector and the security challenges
we have.

“I will do my best so that by the
time I will leave, you will be able to
say that when our son was there, he
served the country well so that one
day, another son of Bayelsa may be
given another opportunity to serve
Nigerians.”

Jonathan observed that it has
become the norm worldwide for
people to be lambasting their
leaders, especially on the social
media.

He regretted that people are using
different things that have been
created by people’s knowledge for
negative purposes.

He cited an example of dynamite,
saying the inventor regretted when
he realised the destructive purposes
people have turned the item to.
The President added, “I assure you
that I am here by the grace of God
and with the willingness of
Nigerians. If Nigerians say I
shouldn’t be here, I wouldn’t have
been here.

We contested election in
2011 and Nigerians voted for us.
“I am your own, if I don’t do well,
the shame will be on you. If I do
well, you will have some kind of
pride. I will do my best.

Source Naijaloaded

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching on Ẹ̀rìndínlógún (16 Cowrie Shells of the Orisa Tradition ) - Baba Odùdúwà

Why your IFA is not working after IFA initiation (Itẹlodu).