I dreamt of becoming an award-winning actress –Tosyn Bucknor, OAP

Top Radio On Air Personality, Tosyn Bucknor, tells Saturday Beats about her life and career

How did you become an On Air Personality?

I stumbled on it to be honest. From secondary school, my dream was to be an actress, and
when I got to the university, I was acting and singing. But being creative, I was always looking
for something to do, so I would go for auditions or interviews.

Was it your life ambition to be on radio?

No. My life ambition was to be an award winning actress and rock star. Radio is something I stumbled on.

Your dream of becoming an actress eventually materialised…

Yes, but I have been acting since secondary school actually. Writing and acting have always
been my actual first love, followed by singing.

Why do you wear dreadlocks?

I can’t really say. I know I just style my hair in the easiest and most convenient way for me.

Tell us a bit about growing up…

Growing up was full of energy, people, laughter, tears, challenges, triumphs, everything. I was a
simple girl with complex thoughts and I loved to sing, talk, act, dream, watch television and just
be with my dad. I was a typical last born and younger sister, slightly spoilt and a pest to my elder sister.

Are there challenges that come with being an OAP?

Yes, I guess as with every other job, career path or work, you will find your own issues, questions
and problems that you must solve.
Some of the challenges I face include having to be up so early, being constantly happy no matter
what’s going on in my personal life and just worrying about the next level or the next step to take.

How did you felt the first time on air?

I giggled a lot. I knew my music and all but just the idea of me filling five hours with speech and music left me nervous. I took some calls, played
some songs and giggled.

Have you been embarrassed by a caller before?

No, I have not.

You also added music to the list of what you do, is it not a tad bigger than you?

I didn’t add music. I’m a natural singer and songwriter. That’s my first love. I’ve been writing songs and singing since primary school.

What would you have been if you weren’t an OAP?

I may have been a bigger rock star.
Did your family support your choice of career? They did and they remain supportive. My granny listened to my show every morning till she passed on and she used to call me “Area.” My dad also calls me Area and my mum and sister
tune in as often as they can. My nieces also tune in on their way to school in the morning and I sometimes play their favourite songs for them.
Then there are uncles, cousins and aunties around who always support and encourage me.

You call yourself ‘Contradiction’ as a singer, why that stage name?

I feel it represents who I was at the time I chose it and who I am now. I’m a tomboy and a girly
girl. When I was a lot younger, everyone said I acted like a grandmother. Now I sound like a
child. I’m a dreamer who is very practical. I’m just a bundle of contradictions to be honest.

Do we see you dusting your law certificate one day and getting your wig and gown?

My law certificate is well and truly in use. Law is not about the wig and gown; there are several aspects to it.

We learnt you were born inside a taxi, how true is this?

It is very true. Imagine! Isn’t my mother just a strong woman? The legend has it that while my
mom was on her way to a friend’s house with my sister in the car, I decided it was time to meet the world and so she had to give birth to
me in the cab she was in. That is why one of my names is Abisona which means, “born on the
way.” My dad jokes that it should be “Abisitaxi” instead.

Source PUNCHNG

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching on Ẹ̀rìndínlógún (16 Cowrie Shells of the Orisa Tradition ) - Baba Odùdúwà

Why your IFA is not working after IFA initiation (Itẹlodu).